Master's Degree in Catalan Language and Literature: Knowledge and Critical Analysis of Intangible Heritage
- New student profile and admission criteria
- Academic and professional goals
- Access to other study programmes and career opportunities
- Structure of the study programme
- Evaluation criteria and exams
- Study programme leadership
In order to enrol in this Master's programme, applicants must be in possession of an undergraduate degree. It is designed specifically for licentiates in philology, but other licentiates can also enrol. Applicants that don't have a degree in Catalan Language and Literature must be in possession of C1 catalan level (or higher).
New students selection criteria
If the number of students applying for admission is greater than the number of places available, students with a degree in Catalan Philology or a degree in Catalan Language and Literature will have preference.
If needed, the following criteria will be applied:
- Transcript of records (50%)
- Other postgraduate studies (25%)
- Publications, participation and attendance at conferences (20%)
- Others (5%)
Generic competencies associated with the degree programme
- Correctly use the Catalan language, both orally and in writing, and in all of its registers, especially in advanced philology.
- Prepare research work in the field of Catalan philology.
- Search for, analyse, and interrelate knowledge from various fields of knowledge related to Catalan language and literature, both as intangible heritage.
- Search for, organize, and properly use, at an advanced level, scientific literature, and know how to critically assess the knowledge that is presented in the literature and in other sources of information (both digital and in-print) on Catalan language and literature, considering both as intangible heritage.
- Design and coordinate cultural activities related to Catalan language and literature, considering both as intangible heritage.
- Analyse the cultural and linguistic state of affairs and apply theoretical knowledge regarding the study of intangible Catalan linguistic, literary, and popular cultural heritage.
- Create extensive summaries and expositions as well as give oral presentations on topics related to Catalan language and literature, considered from the perspective of intangible cultural heritage.
Specific competences associated with the degree programme
- Apply the different theories on the idea of intangible heritage and know how to apply them to the study of Catalan language and literature when designing action projects in the area of intangible cultural heritage.
- Delve into the diversity and complexity of intangible Catalan linguistic and literary heritage from a scientific point of view.
- Integrate knowledge from different branches of philological studies involving the consideration of Catalan language and literature as intangible heritage, beyond the generic content covered at the undergraduate level.
- Perform linguistic field work, carry out linguistic surveys, and plan projects for setting linguistic standards in the Catalan language, considering it as intangible heritage.
- Carry out advanced correction, translation, and editing work on texts in Catalan.
- Recognize the different critical historical models for explaining texts from peripheral disciplines and coming from other sciences, mainly the liberal arts.
- Apply knowledge about and techniques of textual criticism and create a criticism section when editing medieval, modern, and contemporary Catalan texts.
- Locate and make use of digital and printed documentation from libraries, newspaper and periodicals archives, the Internet, etc. in order to carry out high-level work in Catalan philology and Catalan popular culture.
- Identify, analyse, classify, and delve in to the literary (fables, songbooks, popular and traditional theatre, myths, etc.) and linguistic (sayings, idioms, expressions, etc.) aspects of traditional Catalan culture.
- Apply information and communication technology in the field of specialized philological research and know how to use the technology in the area of Catalan philology and the study if intangible heritage.
- Create social and cultural intervention models in the fields of Catalan language, literature, and culture, considering them as intangible heritage.
- Suggest working hypothesis for research on Catalan language or literature and on intangible cultural heritage in general, considering the methodologies associated with different contemporary linguistic and literary theories.
- Understand and discern different Catalan dialects, consider them patrimonial assets of the language, and understand the relationship between the linguistic and cultural differences and the relationships that exist between the language and the environment.
The programme enables graduates to participate in the UIB's doctorate programme in philosophy and philology.
While this degree does not give graduates access to any one particular profession, it is an apt complement for jobs in the following areas:
- Teaching Catalan language and literature
- Language advising
- Cultural management
- Journalism and media
Specific subjects can be found in the Subjects section of this programme.
- Research methods in Catalan philology
- The idea of heritage in Catalan culture: rhetoric and evolution
- Master's thesis
- From the Catalan language as heritage to linguistic analysis
- Linguistic innovation: mechanisms for innovation in the lexicon and phonetics
- Catalan dialectal variation, entente as heritage
- Pragmatics, discourse, and oral language
- Competition and linguistic usage
- From Catalan literature as heritage to literary studies
- Popular Catalan oral literature
- Catalan literature and cultural history (1890-1939)
- Literature and territory
- Analysis of heritage in 5 performances
- Cultural heritage awareness and consulting
- Language advising: toponymy and anthroponomastics*
- Literary advising and editing Catalan literary texts
- Language and media
- Translation theory
- Oral history and historical memory
- Linguistic ethnography
- Popular myths in 20th century* Catalan literature
- Literary criticism in modern Catalan literature
- Theories on language and culture contact
- Literature and memory in post-war Catalan literature
- Language and the environment
Assessment criteria for each subject are established in the attached syllabi.
In general, continuous assessment will be used, and students will have to complete practical tasks, essays, and written examinations, depending on each professor.
Tutoring action plan
This plan specifies the actions to be taken to provide support and guidance to students enrolled in master’s programmes.
The following actions are stipulated:
- Enrolment help sessions, as long as they are requested by students. The person in charge of these sessions will be the director of the master’s programme.
- Each student will have a tutor while taking courses. This tutor will provide guidance on the academic questions and doubts that the student has whenever the student requests it.
- The director of the master’s programme will also have tutoring sessions with students who request it in order to address all general and specific problems and issues that might arise related to the study programme.
- The assignment of a tutor for outside internships/practical experience. The person in charge of this is Dr. Joan Antoni Mesquida.
- The assignment of a master’s thesis advisor (for each student) after the student proposes a topic or line of research to follow.